CITY COUNCIL AGENDA COMMUNICATION
|AGENDA DATE:||March 23, 2021|
Recognition to the Allen Public Library for Receipt of the Texas Municipal Library Directors Association (TMLDA) 2020 Achievement of Excellence in Libraries Award.
Jeff Timbs, Library Director
Allen Public Library has been awarded the 2020 Achievement of Excellence in Libraries Award by the Texas Municipal Library Directors Association, the seventh consecutive year for this recognition, for providing the Allen community with "outstanding and innovative services to enrich the lives of [our] residents."
The Achievement of Excellence in Libraries Award is conferred annually to libraries that demonstrate consistent excellence and outstanding contributions to public library services within their communities. Difficult to attain, especially in 2020, only 56 libraries received the award from a total 568 public libraries in Texas.
To receive the award a library must submit any application that shows they exhibit excellence in 10 service areas which include:
- Provide services to underserved populations either through outreach, special programs, collaborations with other libraries or organizations, special classes, special collections, etc.
- Provide enhanced service to the public during the past year either through increase in service or a change in type of services.
- Provide current marketing materials highlighting basic services and publicity about specific programs the library offers.
- Provide cultural, topical, and educational programming for adults and families.
- Provide literacy support for all ages.
- Conduct a Summer Reading Program; youth, teen and/or adult.
- Invest in collaborative efforts with community organizations.
- Support workforce development.
- Support digital inclusion by providing public internet access, digital literacy training, and offering library services online.
- Establish professional staff training to include training opportunities for staff at all levels.