The 2020 Achievement of Excellence in Procurement has been awarded to the City of Allen Purchasing Division by the National Purchasing Institute (NPI). This is the 20th consecutive year that the City has received this award.
The Achievement of Excellence in Procurement is an award designed to recognize organizational excellence in public procurement. The annual award is earned by those organizations, public or nonprofit, that demonstrate excellence by obtaining a high score based on standardized criteria. The criteria are designed to measure innovation, professionalism, productivity, and leadership attributes of the procurement organization.
A sampling of the standardized criteria in which applicants are rated include:
- Electronic Procurement
- Internal Customer and Vendor Training
- Centralized Procurement Authority
- Comprehensive P-Card Program
- Use of Term/Requirements Contracts
- Certification/Professional Staff
The program was created in 1995 by the National Purchasing Institute's board of directors to:
- Recognize organizational excellence in public and nonprofit procurement,
- Encourage development of excellence, and
- Encourage continued excellence.
In addition to NPI, the Achievement of Excellence in Procurement award is sponsored by the National Institute of Governmental Purchasers (NIGP), the California Association of Public Purchasing Officers (CAPPO), the Florida Association of Public Purchasing Officers (FAPPO) and the Institute for Supply Management (ISM).